What had to happen happened, Sony puts itself on the same level as everyone else and raises its prices. An inflation that will hurt.
Covid19, shortages, geopolitical conflicts, etc. We’re not going to remake the world, nor look at what has happened in the last few years, but the latest events have caused price inflation (all prices) on a global scale. And if until now our favorite media was not too much impacted (except PC hardware), the train is coming.
PS5 price increase in France
Sony has just announced a very sad news that will not please many people, it increases the selling price of its PS5.
Now, the standard PS5 (with drive) will be priced at €549.99 (instead of 499€) and the PS5 digital will be at 449,99€. (instead of 399€). And these are only the recommended retail prices for the console alone, the packs should naturally increase as well;
A 50€ increase which will certainly start to tickle the wallet of the players. Sony says the increase is due to the overall health of the global market and that it will do everything possible to secure supplies.
The global economic environment is a challenge that many of you around the world are, no doubt, facing. We are seeing high global inflation rates, as well as unfavorable currency trends, which are impacting consumers and creating pressure on many industries. Based on these difficult economic conditions, EIS has made the difficult decision to increase the recommended retail price of the PlayStation 5 in certain markets;
While this price increase is a necessity given the global economic environment and its impact on EIS business, our top priority remains to improve the PS5 procurement situation so that as many gamers as possible can experience all that the PS5 has to offer and what is yet to come.
For now, only Sony has announced a price hike, the other manufacturers like Nintendo or Microsoft, have obviously not made a decision yet. It remains to be seen if they will or not.
PS5: all new prices
Note that while most of the world is affected, the inflation has obviously not reached the United States whose PS5s are exempt from price increases.
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc player – € 549.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – €449.99
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc player – £479.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – £389.99
Japan (effective September 15, 2022)
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc player – 60,478 yen (tax included)
- PS5 Digital Edition – ¥ 49,478 (including taxes)
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc player – ¥ 4,299 yuan
- PS5 Digital Edition – ¥ 3,499 yuan
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc player – 799.95 AUD
- PS5 Digital Edition – AUD 649.95
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc player – 14 999 MXN
- PS5 Digital Edition – $12,499 MXN
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive – $649.99 CAD
- PS5 Digital Edition – $519.99 CAD
Source : blog.playstation.com