Four consoles made it to the top 5 best machines of all time at the Golden Joystick Awards (many of them PlayStation). But in the end, there could only be one left.
Like every year since 1983 (or almost), the Golden Joystick Awards took place in the UK and voted the best productions of the year. But to be completely transparent, it must be remembered that the ceremony, although now general, was in the 80s initially dedicated only to the world of the PC.
That said, the jury was probably not influenced by this history when presenting the 2021 prizes, since these are some Sony exclusives which also obtained rewards. We note for example Ghost of Tsushima: Iki Island as “best game expansion” and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart as “best visual design”.
The PS5 was awarded the title of “best gaming hardware” this year and Resident Evil Village as “Ultimate Game of the Year”. Elden Ring is, of course, crowned with the title of “Most anticipated game”.
For this 2021 edition which commemorated “50 years of gaming”, two new awards were awarded. First of all that of “Ultimate game of all time”, which was given to Dark Souls (the one from 2011). The other four games in the top 5 are Minecraft, Half-Life 2, Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Doom (1993). Remember that these rewards are decided by the vote of the public.
Next, the award for “gaming equipment of all time” was awarded (quite logically) to the PC, which found itself in contention against the PSX, PS4, SNES and PS2. Valve boss Gabe Newell picked up the prize, visibly representing the immortal “master race“.
The Golden Joystick Award 2021
- Best Storytelling – Life is Strange: True Colors
- Best Multiplayer Game – It Takes Two
- Best Audio – Resident Evil: Village
- Best Visual Design – Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
- Best Game Expansion – Ghost of Tsushima: Iki Island Expansion
- Mobile Game of the Year – League of Legends: Wild Rift
- Best Gaming Hardware – PS5
- Best Indie Game – Death’s Door
- Studio of the Year – Capcom
- Best Performer – Maggie Robertson (for Lady Dimitrescu)
- Breakthrough Award – Housemarque
- Best Game Community – Final Fantasy 14
- Still Playing Award – Final Fantasy 14
- PC Game of the Year – Hitman 3
- Nintendo Game of the Year – Metroid Dread
- Xbox Game of the Year – Psychonauts 2
- PlayStation Game of the Year – Resident Evil Village
- Most Wanted Game – Elden Ring
- Critics Choice Award – Deathloop
- Ultimate Game of the Year – Resident Evil Village
- Ultimate Hardware of All Time – PC
- Ultimate Game of All Time – Dark Souls